Sunday, May 20, 2007

Packing is difficult

Yesterday I attempted to pack up my belongings and move out. This is always much harder than it needs to be and to complicate matters further, I had to discriminate between what I'd be taking on the bike, what I needed between now and departure and what I needed to box up until August. I also tend to be a packrat, so I find myself getting upset over whether I should throw away that cool bottlecap I found or a funny chinese fortune I've saved. Silly.
Packing a bicycle for a cross country trek is a little more complex than I had imagined. I have to balance the weight on both sides and try to keep a 60/40 front to rear distribution. I think I'll pick up a fishing scale to help out...its either that or just trial and error. I'm also thinking I might be packing a few too many things, so later this evening I'm going to work on paring down the list a bit. Rich and I are going to do an overnight shakedown ride Tuesday and Wednesday. We'll probably just ride out to Jordan lake (about 30 miles), camp out and then ride back the next morning. A short ride is better than no ride! After the shakedown, there is Jacob's graduation/farewell party on Thursday and then I believe we'll be heading up to VA on Friday afternoon/evening (should probably call my father to confirm this, haha).
Keep reading, things should start to get interesting soon!

No comments: