Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Shakedown ride

Rich and I took an overnight camping trip to Crosswinds Campground at Jordan lake as a shakedown ride. The ride wasn't as far as I had hoped, only about 30 miles round trip as opposed to 60. This is partly because we chose to go to Crosswinds rather than Poplar point, but I don't think poplar point would have added on more than 5 miles each way.
Regardless, the trip was very helpful. I think (thanks to my Dad's fishing scale) I have the weight about balanced where I want to. I could use a bit more weight up front and less in the back, but I'll have to wait to distribute communal gear before I can fine tune it anyways.


The most important aspect of the trip was to experience what a bike loaded with about 35 pounds of gear handles like. It is very stable at speed and actually seems to carry momentum better than just having me on the bike. Unfortunately, this also means that hauling the load uphill is harder than ever before...I was hitting speeds as low as 5 mph (and this is just the hills around here! I'm scared of Appalachia). Top speeds were around 29 mph, which makes my friend Ken's record of 50 seem completely insane.


I'm heading to Yorktown on Friday evening and plan to actually embark on Saturday morning. I may or may not come up with a reason to post between now and then, but I might stick one more up before I hit the ol' dusty trail.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I must admitt to getting teary eyed at your departure. Mothers have crazy things run through their heads at times like that! I know you guys look well prepared and will have a fantastic experience. Happy to hear the bikes did not fall off the Caddy on the route to Virginia from Carolina.
It's a beautiful day here and I can feel summer coming. Have a safe trip
Love , Mom
p.s more on Clementine's blog later her trip pictures are amazing of Ariz/Utah

Amanda Sharp said...

hot shorts! can we get a close up?

Bobo said...

It's okay that you got teary-eyed mom...even tough guys like me tear up sometimes. And I promise to give you a closeup shot sometime down the trail Amanda...keep tuend :)

patricia matthews said...

Hi Rob!
You look great! What a awesome trip you are on. I have been keeping up to date with your travels and you are a trip. I love reading about your next adventure!
Oh I have also been keeping G-ma up to date. Talk to you soon.
Love, Aunt P.