Monday, June 11, 2007

2 maps down, 10 to go

Alrighty then...we are finally breaking clear of the Appalachain mountains. It is certainly a beautiful landscape, but I welcome the return of more rolling hills and less laborius crankings uphill. Today we are taking a well-deserved day off in Berea, KY. Tonight we will be staying at a campground nearby and then heading out early in the morning. I believe we'll be spending tomorrow night at the Lincoln Homestead National Park. That would be the first interesting thing I've seen in Kentucky (although the fact that you can attend Berea college in exchange for making brooms is pretty interesting I suppose). Other highlights of this stretch include Mammoth Caves (the world's largest cave system, I believe), Lincoln's birthplace and the conclusion of our second state! I'm so excited to be making progress on that it is hard to explain. About a week ago, as most of you had read, I was really frustrated with how hard it was to move through the mountains and how swamped down our trip had become. Now we are into new territory for me and my excitement for what is to come has really peaked.
One concern I have is that my back wheel seems to have come un-trued. I am going to call Sam for suggestions on this and other maintenance issues today. Hopefully he hasn't started his 9-5 job yet. I am also planning on going through my gear and lightening my load a bit (also, finishing up this slightly hefty book I've been reading could help). I'll hit the post office and send home the items I don't need.
I still get struck by pangs of homesickeness once in a while (or nostalgia I suppose) where I think about people back home or the simple pleasure of a lazy day where no matter what, you don't have to get on a bicycle at all. I also think about ski season alot...I guess because whenever we get the chance to crash in a hotel or motel it reminds me of the many ski trips where we have done the same. Nostalgia or not, I am really excited about this next stretch of the trail and hope to really crank out some miles now. Perhaps my nostalgia is in a way getting me excited because I feel that the sooner we crank through the land, the sooner I'll be back and get to share the stories and photos and adventure with all of you. Until then, keep tuned and check out the new batch of photos. Also, make sure you read Rich's blog and see his photos for another, perhaps less "scientific" (as my writing has been called) take on the whole sequence.

P.S. Thanks to those who have been making comments, and if any of you are having difficulties in doing so, drop me an email and I'll do my best to explain it in a step-by-step fashion.

12 comments:

Adrian said...

Congrats on making it through Appalachia man, I'm sure that was a hell of a stretch. You're 16.666666667% of the way there!

Mom said...

Rob- set up a link to Jacob's blog. I just found out he had one and with such studly pictures of you in his album...like the one with the hairy chest.
Love Mom

Glad to hear you are making progress.

Mom said...

oh, the little white flowers might be called "snowdrops" ??

where is the Kentucky bourbon?

Unknown said...

Hey Rob!
Congrat's on leaving VA behind!
I don't even turn the Today Show on in the AM anymore...I head straight to the computer to see whats new on the bike trail. Your bike adventure is so much more interesting than anything Matt, Al or Meredith has to say...(and even with the "buzz cut" you still have more hair than Matt Lauer and nicer legs than any of them!)
Keep smiling Rob...we love you!
aunt pat

Keep smiling...and remember we love you!

Greg B said...

Hi Rob, I had lunch with your Mom on Friday. We talked all about you, Rich and Jacob and your trip. I could see the gleam in her eyes, what a proud Mommy! (Of course, we talked Clinique garbage, too.) See, you really aren't missing anything exciting. I'm finally using a computer that lets me see everyones pictures (Greg's laptop). Really nice, especially the nipple rings - I had no idea... Jackson got a tatoo a few months ago, I think I would prefer a piercing.

Hope everyone stays faster than the dogs, Connie

matthews said...

Hey Rob
Love AuntP

Katecuster said...

hey robbie it was so nice to talk to you the other day! I am so proud of you! I must admit I am a littledissapointed that I will not get to see you strut your stuff for the ladies in that speedo again this summer! haha Anyways hope you are having fun and I will give you a call soon. LOVE YOU CUZ

Mom said...

oh no Rob..when you don't post I have taken to reading complete stranger's logs just to get my fix and then I end up lost in cyberworld..Now I want to go to Margaret River (south of Perth) I better not give you any ideas.. Also, I saw you can make homeade panniers out of kitty litter buckets.. Does that sound like a project for anyone we know?
Hope you write tomorrow.
Love Mom

Troy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Troy said...

Make sure to do some spelunking for me in those caves, bro

Ev said...

Doorknob: It was good to hear your voice the other night. While in Kentucky you should look for Simon Kenton historical sights and find some legal bourbon distilleries (you might get shot as revenuers if you trip on a moonshine operation).Have you shaved your legs yet? Don't ride in your Speedo. Right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot.............

dcgals said...

Rob, just checking to see how much progress you have made since leaving Haysi. We are tracking you and wishing you guys the best.

The Haysi Library Ladies