Thursday, June 21, 2007

Skirting the Ozarks

Hey folks...sorry for the lapse in 'blogging...haven't been around many libraries lately. We've been making some good mileage and I expect it to get better as we hit flatter ground. Since the quick post in Carbondale we've crossed the Mississippi and headed into Missouri. We should be in Kansas by Saturday afternoon at the latest. Missouri is pretty pleasant riding; rolling hills, wooded farms and small, clear streams. Illinois was mostly corn, which was also nice except that for whatever reason the scent of large cornfields is similar to peppered beef jerky, so I was always hungry.
As I mentioned, we should be into Kansas by Saturday afternoon and I'd like to try to do the whole state within 5 or 6 days. Its certainly possible since we can make really good mileage on flatlands. The tricky part will be convincing the other two that we don't need to take any days off (not so tricky since I don't imagine there is much to do or see in Kansas). Another ally in the cause of not taking days off is that hotel rooms are expensive and I believe Jacob and Rich are starting to feel the budget squeeze. I probably would be too, if I ever logged onto my account and checked my balance. I'm ignoring it right now.
Getting into Colorado will be good, but the topography is frightening. It will be cool to be in the Rockies once more however, and as a bonus I think we might be able to meet up with my good friend and ski bud Nick Shaw. He's from Chapel Hill, but lives in Boulder, not too far from where we'll be passing on the bikes.
I wanted to find a doctor's office and weigh myself before I made this post, but we found the library right away, so I suppose that information will have to wait until the next post. I have a feeling that whatever I've lost in fat, I've more than made up for with gigantic leg growth so I don't expect a huge weight difference. Still, it would be interesting to know and its one of the things I think about while I'm riding all day.
To the Engles- I'm glad you are reading along! I know you missed out on my graduation get together, but hopefully you'll be around to come across the street to the return shindig when I get back.
To Mr. Harpham- We were just south of Rollo last night, but now we're pushing on southward and westward into Kansas...sorry I didn't get to check out your old stompin' grounds!

To everyone else- keep reading and I promise I'll keep pedaling ;) Cheers!

4 comments:

Ev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ev said...

Rob: Watch the Ozarks, there are some real hillbillies there. If you claim that you biked across Kansas in 5 or 6 days I will know that you are making this whole trip up while drinking beer in West Virginia.

If you have trouble with motivation on the flat lands or in the Rockies, get some braided fishing line and tie your RNR to a front tire spoke and your LNR to another front tire spoke (opposite the RNR line) and, with the correct calculations of line length, you should have no difficulty peddeling across the US. Boulder CO is a great place. Aunt Linda sends her love.

Mom said...

Okay, Why didn't Uncle Ev have something to say about those rock formations at Elephant State Park?

The corn...it takes a lot to feed cattle and I learned today that it will be driving up the cost of beef at the Kroger...

Jacob's new bike is awesome.

Was Mammoth a little Disneyed?

What are HTML tags?

Troy took his first train ride to DC today. Medwin's cage is stinkin' up the third floor.

Missouri- the Show me state- show me what? Who knows the origion?

Still miss you..my house and life are so empty!!

Love, Mom

rustyspoons said...

rob... come home soon... your mom is ramblin on.. all is well here... kids into the summertime
thing. we miss you. chat soon. aunt colleen