Thursday, June 14, 2007

A-spelunkin' we will go

Sorry for the lack of posts...haven't been around a library for a couple of days. Kentucky is starting to be a bit more fun, and certainly more pleasent. The riding has been nice as we go through the rolling hills of bluegrass country and there are starting to be some interesting things to see. For instance, yesterday I saw a boyhood home of Lincoln. More interesting, we got to tour the Heaven Hill distillery in Bardstown, KY (world Bourbon capitol). More well known distilleries such as Maker's Mark and Jim Beam were just out of our bicycling endeavors, but Heaven Hill, unbeknownst to me, is the manufacturer of the well known (at least in poor college student circles) Bourbon Evan Williams. The tour was very interesting, make sure you check out the photos. I swear I smelled like bourbon for the rest of the day.
Some other highlights included watching Jesus, a waiter at a mexican restaurant in Springfield balance various objects on his chin, including a bucket full of ice as a grand finale. My attempts were not so fruitful. Today we will get to head to Mammoth cave and explore the bowels of KY. We'll be slightly behind "schedule", but I'm fairly certain we'll be able to make some good time between Illinois and the Rockies. I am enjoying the trip so far, but I am truly excited about the upcoming stretches and returning to the west. I love being out west.
We've been out for 3 weeks (on Saturday) but it certainly feels like longer to me. I can't imagine how it will feel after another 8 or 9 weeks. I still sorely miss things back home, but am getting more and more adjusted to life on the road and the lack of creature comforts. As always, its not really the things i miss back home, but the people. I hope this post finds all of you doing well. I love reading your comments, emails and getting phonecalls. Until the next library, take care!

P.S. Beve...Troy is coming to Sweden next Thursday...I don't know if he got in touch with you or Jan, but he certainly should!

8 comments:

Mom said...

Troy is coming if he gets his passport..Clementine checked on it and it should be coming from New Orleans anyday with wet ink no doubt !! I'll check out the Evan Williams at the liqour store.

Mom said...

oh, should I ask why your knee is bleeding?

Ev said...

Trying Kentucky bourbon in Kentucky is smart. Checking out caves in Kentucky is interesting. Using KY while exploring bowels is priceless - ask any gastro-intestinal doc. Aunt Linda sends her love. I send my wisdom.

rustyspoons said...

hey rob. wish you were coming through ohio.
keep the faith and be safe. we love you.
chat soon. aunt colleen.

Unknown said...

Hey Rob!
I was going to ask about the knee also! Perhaps too much of the "Evan Williams"?
These comments are becoming quite interesting! Uncle Ev's "wisdom" may or may not always be the encouragement you're looking for...but it certainly is entertaining!
We're headed to AZ to see Wes and Chelsey has orientation at U of A! So keep writing...and we'll keep reading!
love "j-town aunt pat"

Michael said...

hey rob, was looking on robbie's blog and found out that you were keeping this. What a great way to record and share your adventure across the continent.

I think it's great what you're doing. I was looking on google maps and it's cool to see how far you've gone already. Have fun in the caves man.

theraabs said...

hey rob!
what you're doing is so inspiring and im sure life-changing. As we were reading your blogs we found them so interesting we thought they would make a good book! good luck along your journey and we will keep reading! Keep the faith and keep peddlin' and as journey once said (this is from emily she wants to put a different song quote in everytime)

"Don't stop believing, hold on to that feeling"

Good Luck and much love!!!

Katecuster said...

Robbie I love reading about your wild escapades! I would also like to remind you that you might want to be more careful about abbreviations since my dad is reading these haha. I couldnt stop laughing when i saw his last post. He's giving you pearls here, doorknob! You should also know that you are my inspiration to keep on moving when I get tired or frustrated with my knee during the daily workouts! Have fun, be careful, and call me soon! Love ya cuz.