Tuesday, June 26, 2007

So this is Kansas...

I'm about halfway through Kansas and as I had guessed, I'm pretty unimpressed. It has been hot, windy and pretty flat and I only expect it to get more of each. Today was relatively cool because we are being threatened by massive storm clouds. The maps say Kansas natives are among the most friendly people on the trail, but our experiences haven't shown that. Sure, people in towns are just about as friendly as anywhere we've been. But the other night we stayed at a local campground and watched the most redneck, violent excapades we have seen yet. One drunkard scissorkicked another repeatedly. Screaming children, cursing, truck peelouts...all kinds of amazing antics ensued. That night I was either really dehydrated or came down with a stomach bug and struggled all day yesterday. I was feverish, had a terrible feeling all through my insides and was cold-sweating everything I could drink. I managed to finish the 105 miles or so to Newton and feel much better today.
Another interesting thing happened at the Toronto lake campsite. We saw a girl with a bike who had a certain way that made us think she was a biker like us, but she had no gear. Turns out her trailer had been stolen outside of Chanute. We've decided to bring her along with us until Pueblo, where she is going to meet up with family/friends and re-gear I suppose. I must say she looks striking in my boxers and extra shirt (not as striking as me, mind you). Her name is Bonnie but I'm afraid she hasn't popped up in the few photos I've taken of Kansas. It is nice to have some extra company around though.
Tonight we will sleep in Lyons, Kansas. I would prefer to ride an extra 20 miles to Ellinwood, but it really doesn't matter much whether we do them today or tomorrow (I just get antsy sitting around). Everything still looks good to have us in Pueblo by Saturday, which I am starting to realize doesn't make much sense since the 4th is on a Wednesday. I suppose we'll buy some fireworks and have a celebration alone in the middle of nowhere. Sigh.

Hope all is well with you folks scattered about. Thanks for reading, much love!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Rob!
Are you SURE you are in Kansas?
Sounds more like you were on the set of Mel Gibson's "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome"!!!
Be careful out there!
Did you see us waving to you as we flew over Kansas (on our return flight from hot, but dry! Arizona)?
There were moments on that airplane when I envied you! Wide open spaces, fresh air, peace and quiet! Airplanes are just "nasty" (in regards to comfort, air quality, etc)...
Wes says if anyone can do the bike trip, "Rob the Man" can!

Enjoy the freedom and those wide open spaces!

love xoxo aunt pat

Ev said...

You are so gallant saving young women in distress. I only hope you at least washed your boxers before you lent them out. And I am glad that you didn't lend out your Speedo. Remember that Colorado is on the other end of Kansas and then Wyoming. The rolling hills of Kansas may waft fondly through your shaved head a little later in the trip. Tell Bonnie that I said Hello. Aunt Linda sends her love. There is a fisn=hing line sale at Wal-Mart. Just so you know.

Mom said...

Tuesday nite and the swim meet is called for thunder..even without a swimmer I can't stop thinking about that on Tuesdays. Looks like I won't be doing my laps either. Was Bonnie riding alone? Does she know who she is with?

You sound so sad about the 4th.. We'll be watching fireworks from the dock with Grandma and Aunt P. (NOT rubbing it in). Remember to check out the dumpsters near the fireworks sellers tents the day after the fourth..that is where all the unsold TNT will be. Just a little tip from Matt and Pat Lexa.

Kansas was always big and wonderful in the Laura Ingalls Wilder books.
Oh,well Take care..it sucks having a virus on the trail.. Did you plan for that? Troy has something viral in Sweden too. Not sturdy genes.

Love, Mom

robsdad said...

Rob, too bad to hear about Bonnie's trailer--there for a while you encountered mostly surprisingly kind acts. Keep up the great progress--"I reckon" per my map of U.S. I'd say halfway on your journey is somewhere between Wichita and Dodge City (although I know you will take a winding/circuitous path through the Rockies). You "have definitely come a fur piece". Maybe you can include Total Mileage in your Blogs? Sorry, it's the ProjectMgr and "Opti-mizer" in me!! Send me the data so I can make a power curve--just kidding. Love, Dad

Katecuster said...

hey robbie it was really nice to talk to you today! im glad i got to de-code my dads message for you ;) haha. maybe that will make the fishing line sale at wal-mart a little more enticing for you. i have decided to invest in a new speedo for you just in case we get to visit in august when you get home. i forgot to tell you earlier that Stanton, Evan, Gerald, and I are planning a trip to the cottage for the third weekend in august! If you are home by then you should think about meeting us. anyways, keep on truckin (or cycling)! love you!
katie

Patty Two Stacks said...

Haha - I like Pat's joke above. Funny guy, good name.

Do you go through Iowa? They say you can actually hear the corn growing there.

Any hottie midwestern aces spotted yet? I hear they lie naked amongst the corn and wait for bikers to Kaw out for them. Maybe I didn't hear that, actually.

Bobo said...

Haha...patrick...pat is my aunt pat, but i too like the thunderdome joke. haven't found any midwest hotties yet. I'd say the cutest girls were in illinois, but I forgot to give my kaws as I rode. oh well. maybe out here in western kansas some will spring up!

MikeD said...

Yo Rob,

I hope you lent your new friend your boxers without the skidmarks.... I know how you bikers are...

Anyway, I just thought I'd drop you a note to let you know that I've been lurking here reading your posts every morning when I get into work (It's the highlight of my morning!). Maybe for your next adventure we'll go through-hike the AT??

I'll try to reply to your posts more often, but just remember that there are lots of us lurkers out here cheering you on everyday! Happy Peddling!

-Mike Doligalski

Ev said...

Look Rob, I thought that you would decipher my previous fishing line message and I am extrememly disappointed that Kate had to decode the message for you. With your SAT scores and college success I never would have dreamed that you would not be able to decoode such a simple and effective concept. I think that this whole bike trip across America is a sham and you are drinking beer 24/7 in Elkins, WVa while the unassuming public and family members buys your line of BS. I am really feeling that you have never been in Kentucky, Illinois or Kansas and that you have never crossed the Appalachians on a bike. I believe that Pony Boy is a figment of your over-excercised imagination and I am really feeling used. Aunt Linda sends her love. Your pictures are nothing more than digital fabrications. Send pictures of Davis-Bacon and the bar please and come clean.

Alex said...

Beve, The Ukraine sounds awesome!