Friday, July 6, 2007

Okay, recap for CO

Alright, so the last time I wrote much in detail I was in Ordway at Gillian's house. After that we headed into Pueblo and got a cheap motel room for Saturday night. We went out to the bars, enjoyed some fireworks and got to sleep in a bed. All wonderful. The next day we decided to go pay for a movie and then proceed to see all of the summer blockbusters we have been missing. On our way to the theater, we decided to check out this guy we had been told about, so we stopped by his house. His name is Donald and he is the man. He and his wife live and teach in Burma 10 months out of th e year and then return home to Pueblo to just hang out for the 2 months of summer. We asked Donald if we could stash our stuff in his yard or garage while we went to the movies. He thought this idea was silly and insisted that we come surfing with him down on the Arkansas River instead. He was correct; we had way more fun boogie-boarding in the river than we would have had at the movies. I'll just rent them on Blu-ray when I get home! That night Donald set up a projector in his back yard and we watched Suicide Kings on his garage wall.
Monday morning we headed up into the mountains. The scenery was gorgeous. We spent one night in Leadville, the highest incorporated town in the country and had the chance to enjoy a beer in the highest brewery in the country. We were considering staying at the wonderful Leadville Hostel, but opted to camp just outside of town instead. In the morning we had an awesome pancake breakfast at the Hostel for just 5 bucks. We rode over Fremont Pass (11000-something feet) and down into Breckenridge for the 4th of July. The fireworks were cancelled due to extreme dry conditions, but there were still plenty of people around! The fireworks 10 miles away in Frisco were still on, because they fire them over a lake, but we decided to stay in Breckenridge. Thursday we rode from Breckenridge to Hot Sulphur Springs. They were indeed hot and did indeed smell like sulphur. Today we are in Walden, just near the Wyoming border. I would have preferred to ride a bit farther and camp out in the woods, but the temptation of the library, indoor pool and showers proved to be a bit much for us.
The last week has been a real blast and I'm pretty sure from here on out will be much of the same. The next stretch through the middle of Wyoming might get a bit flat and boring, but at least I have the Tetons and Yellowstone to look forward to. We are considering modifying the route a bit and not heading to Missoula. This would allow us to see a bit more of Idaho as well as lolly-gag a bit longer in the two Great Parks.
Right now I really really want to go eat a whole pizza at the local pizza shop I saw when riding into town. This will be a battle between my wallet and my belly. Wish me luck and stay tuned!

9 comments:

Ev said...

It was good talking with you the other night. Aunt Linda and I went to Hot Sulpher Springs a couple years ago and through Rocky Mountain National Park - spectacular, but it makes my legs hurt to thimk of you crossing that area on a bike. I guess the RNR/LNR system is working. Have fun in Wyoming (as if you have ever left Elkins). The Tetons and Yellowstone are awsome- watch the bears. Aunt Linda sends her love from Utah.

Unknown said...

let me know what road your coming out of colorado on and into wyoming and i might be able to make a few suggestions... or at least let you know what we did bc it sounds like youre looking to pick up on the route we took. good luck.

mike

Unknown said...

Rob!
You're starting to look like your bike tires...SKINNY! You look great and obviously alot healthier than most of us!

The photos of Colorado are wonderful...that is a beautiful state.

Again, be safe and enjoy each day!

love aunt pat (j-town)

robsdad said...

Rob, may your belly win! Like father, like son...i just finished a fried softshell crab sammich caught fresh at Calico Creek yesterday. Will send you pix from trip to Northwest Places on July 4th with Matt and Mike Loicano, we had a great time (1 nice king and a decent mahi and the usual sharks...ARRGH Matey's...twas a bloodbath at Northwest Places) ..will be anxious to take you there (if you want) when you get back. Keep up the great progress, the red pin on my US map is getting quite close to the Pacific. Hmmm...I wonder how the fishing is there in August??? Love, Dad

Mom said...

Who is that man? indeed a bit thinner...we saw fireworks from Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, Morehead and Emerald Isle all at the same time.
How did they do it he asked?
Indeed it was a bit tricky sitting on Tom's pier.

Filled our bellies with bounty from the sea cooked on wood planks by master griller Matt and topped it off two days later with some fried crap from the Sandpiper...indeed feeling like a bit of Tums..

Colorado sounds great ..I could go for a campout that requires a sleeping bag and no mosquito spray.

Poor little Jonathan had to welts on his head.

Missed hearing you say, "I'm salty"

Love Mom

Dave T said...

Rob, We met in Breckenridge, I took your picture in the park, and I'm the guy who also has done the TransAm. First, I have to Apologize, I should have offered you a place to stay or at least a shower and breakfast. I did come back looking for you but you were gone already... sorry.

From Colorado west is the best part of the TransAm. Enjoy it and take as many pictures as you can.

Check out crazyguyonabike.com.

You can see my 14'er summit blog at
http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/summit

Enjoy the trip, soak it all in, you'll thank yourself in 20 years........

~Dave T.

Patty Two Stacks said...

rob -- got the postcard today. will call tonight. skeebledorf sighting yesterday, details to come.

pc

Mudd said...

Hello Mr. Clites. I'm really starting to wish that I had joined you on this expedition. I probably would have died, but it would have been worth it. And who cares if I'd have been 3 weeks late for my job, I can get a new job.

Bah, anyway, you told me to keep it clean when I posted, I'm doing okay, yes?

Let me know if you have a final destination and a estimated day of celebration or what not. I'm in LA and would love to drive to wherever you're going to be for the last couple of days.

Miss you baby.

Mudd said...

Rob, that MUDD comment was left by me, KYLE FRIED!!!

The company's name is Mr. Mudd.

I forgot that I'm logged on my work account, I'm working for John Malkovich, he's a crazy mofo.